Friday, September 4, 2015

First post - Countdown Begins

Countdown to Southwest USA National Parks Trip


Well, the countdown to my personal vacation trip back through the great Southwest US National Parks has begun!

Beginning Wednesday morning, 09/16, I plan to drive from DFW up to Santa Fe, NM on the first day of my trip.  This will be a return trip for me to beautiful Santa Fe though it's been several years ago. I'll spend 2 nights there so I have at least one full day to spend in the area touring the sites, visiting the Indian Market, the many old missions and chapels, and other locations.








On Friday, 09/18, I'll head North into Colorado through Pagosa Springs with a stop in Durango before heading to the Four Corners Monument.  Then onto one of my favorite locations in that area, Monument Valley!  I'll then move onto stops in Mexican Hat, Goosenecks State Park, Moki Dugway and Muley Point Overlook, and Valley of the Gods before stopping for the night in Blanding, UT.



Saturday, 09/19, I plan to visit Natural Bridges National Monument and Canyonlands National Park before staying over the first of two nights in Moab.  My buddy is planning to drive down from Logan so we'll meet up sometime on Saturday.  Sunday we'll stay in and around Moab with a day trip to Dead Horse Point State Park and Arches National Park.



On Monday, 09/21, I'll depart Moab for a trip to Capital Reef National Park before staying one night in Torrey, UT.  Tuesday, 09/22, head through Boulder, UT and onto beautiful Bryce Canyon National Park, Dixie National Forest, and then staying the night in Cedar City, UT.


Wednesday, 09/23, the day will include Zion National Park and Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park before I end the day in Kanab, UT.




Thursday, 09/24, it's a full day at Glen Canyon before a nice evening around Lake Powell and Page, AZ.





Friday, 09/25, I'll head south from Page to the Grand Canyon South Rim.  This will be my 5th trip to the area and it never gets old.  I could go every year!  The Grand Canyon is just so beautiful and has so much more to see than just the popular shots from the South Rim that most are familiar with seeing.





I'll spend the entire day around the canyon before heading to Flagstaff for the night. Flagstaff is simply beautiful, nestled among the Kaibab National Forest, it's more like the Pacific Northwest than what you imagine when you think of Arizona. While only 140 miles North of Phoenix, the temperatures around Flagstaff this time of year are typically in the 70's!


Saturday, 09/26, the day will be spent in Sedona, land of crystals, artists, and famous red rocks.  Again, I've been to Sedona many times but it is so close to Flagstaff and yet so amazingly different too.  Any visit to Northern Arizona should include a day trip to Sedona in my opinion.  I'll also visit Lake Montezuma, Camp Verde, and Prescott before stopping there for the evening.





On Sunday, 09/27, I'll start making my way back towards DFW, past the Meteor Crater East of Flagstaff.  I'll also stop off in Winslow (where I'll be standing on a corner) and through Holbrook before another stop at The Rainbow Forest Museum, Petrified Forest and Painted Desert.  I plan to end the day in Gallup, NM for the night.



Monday 09/28, the day will be spent driving to Amarillo which will have to include a stop off at the famous Route 66 Cadillac Ranch, right off I-40, before stopping in Amarillo for the last evening of my trip.


On Tuesday, 09/29, I'll take a trip through Palo Duro Canyon State Park just South of Amarillo before I make my way back home to DFW.


Yes I have a VERY full couple of weeks planned but this is something I've both wanted and talked about doing for a very long time.  I'm excited to re-discover many locations as well as newly discover other destinations for the first time. Just taking my time, moving at my own comfortable pace, and enjoying our beautiful Southwest and US National Parks!


2 comments:

  1. Well the trip is over and I'm just getting back to your blog - planned on keeping up with the days. Sorry that it went so fast - been pretty quiet here at work, that is a good thing. Good to see you are back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Was an awesome trip. Always good to come home but already planning the next big adventure too!

      Delete